This great old sign is a piece of Portland history. The Bertha station, which was located in the city’s Hillsdale neighborhood, was a stop on the Southern Pacific Railway line. The stop was named after Bertha Koehler, the wife of the Southern Pacific line manager, in 1890 but its existence predates that naming. The sign was made as a reproduction in the 1990’s for a shop at the location of the original Bertha Station. There is some fading to the paint, but it still retains most of the schmalz coating on the central banner.