With its familiar fire engine red housing, this alarm master box was manufactured by the Gamewell Company, a name now synonymous with fire detection. John Gamewell had been pursuing the invention of a public fire alarm system since the mid-1800’s when he purchased the patent rights of an earlier detection system. The Civil War waylaid Gamewell’s progress, but he eventually gained back the patents he lost during the war and began to manufacture the “Fire Alarm Telegraph System” with its familiar cottage style call boxes after 1879. This call box is from the early 20th century and is in great shape with the original finish and a functional key. Interior mechanisms appear to be intact and pull lever is functional.