The J.G. Low Tile Works fired their first tiles in Chelsea, Massachusetts in 1879. Low won countless art awards at expositions in the United States and internationally. The short-lived production time – the factory closed after a fire in 1902 – made these tiles more sought after by collectors, not to detract from their beautiful glaze work and sculpting.
This tile, which is #64 in the 1884 Low Art Tile Works Catalog features a naturalistic array of clover leaves and small berries. This tile has a mossy green glaze with some craquelure. A few minor fleabites in raised areas of the tile are the only flaws in this otherwise very clean tile.